Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Grandpa Ron

**Just a heads up, this is a long, journal like, personal post so it might be a bit much to read. I just want to write so I can remember as much as possible.**

It all started on May 15th after I got to work and checked my email and found a message from my sister asking if I'd heard about Grandpa. I hadn't heard anything and of course she wasn't available to fill me in so I called my Dad and he told me that Grandpa wasn't doing well and that he was being seen by hospice and they gave him 10-14 days. I guess they thought he may have had some strokes and had been in bed for a few days. We all knew this was coming but this was a more sudden decline than we'd seen. I was conflicted because my brother was coming to see us in a week and I was supposed to go to Honduras 9 days from then so I talked to my boss and was able to get bereavement time. I knew I probably would not make the funeral but wanted to see him while he was still alive if I could get the chance. So after work I booked a flight (which thankfully I had award miles to use) and left for Utah that afternoon.

I remember sitting in the Lansing airport and talking to my sister on the phone. She said "sis he looks worse than I thought, I hope you make it in time." She put the phone next to him and I was able to talk to him for a minute. I told him that I was coming and that I loved him. I heard his breathing but he was able to respond with a moan like noise. I think he was able to get out an "I love you too" which was tender to hear.

Thankfully I made it to Salt Lake in time, my sister and her kids picked me up and she took me down to good old Springville to see Grandpa around 9pm. Poor guy, he was just skin and bones. I kind of knew what to expect but it was still sad to see him like that. I'm so used to walking in and seeing him in his chair in the living room but he was in his bed, propped up with lots of pillows. He was breathing hard and slow and I sat down next to him. I held his hand and kissed him and told him how much I loved him and what a great Grandpa he was. I told him to please take care of my babies with Grandma (that was so hard to say). He would acknowledge that I was talking to him and sometimes open his eyes. I told him we all loved him and he was able to mumble "I love you all." There were several other family members there and his sons were taking such good care of him. He looked like he was sleeping so I hated to wake him up so often but I spent several minutes with him at a time just sitting next to him, holding his hand, and talking to him. A few of us decided to lay down around midnight and at 12:45am my dad woke me up and told me Grandpa had passed. I guess my Uncle Mike went in to check on him and told him that it was okay to go and that he loved him. Mike said he opened his eyes and looked at him then exhaled and was gone. Just like that. As peaceful as it gets. Of course I wish I had been in there with him but it was hard to know how long it was going to be and we are all glad that my Uncle Mike was the one to be with him since he's taken care of him the last 3 years. We spent a few more hours with him as a family and then the funeral home came and took him and we got a little more sleep.

I'm so glad he waited for me before he passed! It's selfish but I think he knew I was coming and waited. He has missed my Grandma tremendously since she passed in 2008 and spoke often about being with her again. This is what he wanted. His bishop told us at the funeral that he visited with him 2 days before he passed and my Grandpa told him he wanted to be released from this life... :( So grateful for the Priesthood! His bishop and my Uncle Robert were able to give him that blessing. Once again, I'm so glad he waited for me!

The funeral was on the 21st. He didn't look like the dear Grandpa that I knew but I know why and that's okay. He still looked beautiful in his temple clothes in a nice wood casket with the flag draped over. We set up a picture display during the viewing and had little chocolates for everyone with a message that said "While you remember Ron, enjoy one of his favorite treats"

Grandpa LOVED all things chocolate! I even made a chocolate bar wreath. (I will miss sending him chocolate shakes and brownies).
My dad said the family prayer, we closed the casket and began the funeral. The service was great. My Uncle Steve did a wonderful job recounting his life and told some great stories I'd never heard before. One story I like was when my dad was young there was a neighbor who had some mental health problems who would come into my Grandpa's garage and take his yard tools and every night after he was done with them my Grandpa would go get them and quietly put them back. I guess my Grandma told him to just tell the guy to stop doing taking them but my Grandpa never did, he just showed love to him :) What an example! Steve also told the story about how he and my dad rigged up speakers next to their parents room one Christmas and broadcast a wake up message starting at 2am. I guess my Grandpa yelled up to them that if they really wanted a merry Christmas they better stop :)
My mom spoke also and told another story I'd never heard. I guess early in her first pregnancy she started to bleed and of course was scared. She said my Grandma and Grandpa came right up and he and my dad gave my mom a blessing and she went on to carry the pregnancy that resulted in my sister and I. I've heard my mom tell the stories of them coming up often during her bedrest period to help her from going crazy. My Grandpa then went on to bless us as infants, witnessed our baptisms and sealings, was there to buy our temple clothes and be with us during our first time in the temple. They were both such a major part of our lives! I cherish the times I watched them love my sister's babies and will forever wish that they could have met and cuddled mine. But I know that they are loving them now and rocking and singing to them just like they have done for all of us. They sure loved babies!! {tears}

The service at the cemetery was nice.

I enjoyed looking up at the angel that Ryan and I hung from the tree over the grave last year for my Grandma. It definitely reminded me that I'm sure she was there too.

There was a bagpiper which I guess my Grandpa always enjoyed and 2 young men who bestowed the military honors.

I didn't even know that he was a veteran until after he died but the honor was appreciated. My Uncle Robert dedicated the grave, I gave one more quick touch and kiss to the casket and then had to get back to the airport.
(I have to share that I recognized Heavenly Father's hand in the timing of all of this. I just happened to have upcoming time off and was able to use bereavement, I just happened to have enough bonus miles to fly, I just happened to find a last minute flight close to home, I made it in time to see him, I was originally scheduled to fly back the day before the funeral but after being prompted by Ryan to call the airline I did and told them the circumstance and they apologized for my loss and changed my flight no problem.)

I'm so so grateful to have been their Granddaughter!
I truly believe that there are not better grandparents out there. So many of my childhood memories are enriched with them and their home. It was sad to say goodbye to that house where we spent so much time as a family. It was my Grandma's parents home before it was theirs. It began with their family and will end with their family.

I'm so grateful for the example my grandparents set for us. I'm grateful for the temple and the saving ordinances that binds them and us together forever. This loss has been easier to handle and a more peaceful transition knowing that they are together and happier than they probably have ever been. I hope I can live my life, cherish my eternal companion and raise my babies to the standard that they did.

Thank you Grandpa for everything. Please stay close, take good care of my babies and watch over us until we meet again! Love always, your Stephie

Ronald J. Allan
1928 ~ 2012

Ronald J Allan, 84, of Springville, Utah died May 17, 2012 at home surrounded by his loving family.

Ron was born April 1, 1928 in Springville, Utah to Nephi Ronald and Juliet Allan.

He married Ann Whiting in the Salt Lake Temple. They celebrated 56 years of marriage together.

Ron graduated form Springville High School, served honorably in the United States Army, served an LDS mission to England, graduated from Brigham Young University, and was a dedicated teacher at the Grant and Springville Middle Schools for 33 years. In addition to teaching, Ron worked at the Art City Drive-In and the Hobble Creek Golf Course.

Ron enjoyed wood working, hunting, fishing, and all things chocolate! But his true love was for his family. Ron and Ann lived for their family. Their home was the gathering place for many holidays and family parties.

We are comforted to know that Ron has been reunited with his sweetheart, Ann, whom he missed so much since her passing in 2008.

Ron and Ann were the loving parents of 5 boys, Steve (Ann), Richard (Jololene), Michael, Marc (Elaine), Robert (Carla) and incredible grandparents to 14 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held on Monday, May 21, 2012 at the Springville 2nd Ward chapel, 1785 East 400 South, Springville. Viewing 9:30-10:45 am with the service following at 11 am. Burial to take place at the Springville Evergreen Cemetery. Condolences may be shared with the family at:

1 comment:

Leslie said...

That was a really good post Sis