Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Grandma Lois


I'm sad to report that my sweet Grandma Lois passed away on July 25th. While we are never ready to see our loved ones pass from this life, we know she was ready. She had Parkinson's disease and had slowly progressed over the last few years, especially since her husband died in 2006. She had been living with my mom and dad for the last year. She passed in her sleep, without pain or injury, just like she wanted and I'm grateful that she is comfortable now and reunited with family.

We were in Washington DC with my parents and brother when she died, receiving the call at 4:30am. It certainly changed the direction of the trip but I will always remember the special and tender time we had as a family together in the hotel room early that morning.

We had a trip planned home in just a few short weeks, how I wish we could have seen her one last time but are grateful to have spent Thanksgiving with her and share lots of phone calls. When we were first married we lived a short 5 minute walk from her home and enjoyed visits together, strawberry shakes, and I often played her personal nurse whether it be checking her blood pressure or administering eye drops after surgery. She was so funny about those too, I would have to nearly pry her eyes open because she was so jumpy, we enjoyed laughing together about that.

It's 1:45 in the morning and I'm beginning to ramble but I have to post this detail since you all know how I feel about animals. My uncle who was there with my grandma said he got up because he heard all 3 of my parents dogs whimpering at her door. When he went in to check on her, she had passed away. If you recall, we had a special experience with my Grandma Ann's bird as well when she passed away.

I was hoping to never lose any grandparents and have now lost both grandma's in 10 months. I'm going to have to have a discussion with Heavenly Father someday because I don't think anyone should have to be without their grandmas (or grandpas) :) Maybe we can work something out...
Love you Grandma!

8 comments:

Sarah C said...

I am so sorry Stephanie. That is really sad. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I am here for you. Your grandma seems like she was a very sweet person. I can tell you had a lot of fun memories with her.

Rebecca said...

I'm sorry and I hope to hear more about her as the days go by. Isn't it great that we have memories? We used to go get pies with my grandma. There is something special about being with loved ones, when another one passes. That was neat that you could do that.

Jason & Kelli West said...

Steph, I am so sorry she is gone, but happy that she is out of pain and reunited with her husband.I'm glad that you were able to be around your family when she passed. we love you, and cant wait to see you!!

Nicole said...

I am sorry to hear that Steph. You are a strong girl and have many thoughts that uplifted me. I know you will miss her, but keep your chin up:)

Leslie said...

That was a nice post Sis. I hadn't even thought about what it was like when you all found out. I'm glad you could be there for Mom. Travel safe, we can't wait to see you

Nancy B. said...

Thinking of you and your family.

Reid, Megan, Jackson and Aiva said...

sorry to hear about that! you are so lucky to have such good memories of her, hold on to those!

Dan and Jen said...

I'm really sorry about your grandma, Steph. It's terrible to get to "that age" when grandparents start to pass on. It almost doesn't seem like a reality. That was a sweet tribute and her obituary was really sweet too. She sounds like an amazing lady.